The Royal County Arbiter

22 March 2006

Why not just shoot yourself in the fucking head?

The Believer magazine, March 2006

I was reading The Believer today in the bookshop while bunking off work and found a brilliant interview with Harold Ramis, of Ghostbusting fame. This bit I copied into my notebook:

Ramis: I can’t tell you how many people have told me, “When I go to the movies, I don’t want to think.”
Believer: Does that offend you as a filmmaker?
Ramis: It offends me as a human being. Why wouldn’t you want to think? What does that mean? Why not just shoot yourself in the fucking head?
Read the full text here, those generous so-and-sos.

3 Comments:

Blogger pinklefish:

I've heard people say that too, about TV and books as well. I think what they are really saying is that they don't want to be challenged. They don't want their own comfortable set of prejudices to be tinkered with. They certainly don't want to be forced to question any of their beliefs. Some types of growth are painful, whether they be intellectual or emotional. They take work. People are lazy buggers.

Thing is though, if they just made the effort now and then, they'd find they quite like being challenged. They might have to discard their egos and be more flexible with their values and opinions, but nobody ever said an opinion had to be a static thing anyway.

Nice post.
:)

12:56 am  
Anonymous routard:

Thanks for the article :)

12:05 pm  
Anonymous routard:

I saw this magazine in Borders today. £8!! Lordy blinking flip, too much.

4:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home